Simple Life Tweak: How Walking Every Morning Improves Your HealthFriday, July 24, 2015
Creating a simple habit of walking has been one of the best things I've ever done for myself, and here's why:
- I have stopped being a snooze pusher, which is a habit I have hated having!
- I get 30 minutes of exercise every single morning before anything else in the world gets in the way.
- I get to see the sun rise over the mountains every morning and see the beauty in my neighborhood before there are lots of cars and people out and about. We also beat the summer heat and enjoy the cool, morning, air.
- I get a date with my husband on the days we go together. This way no matter what gets in the way, we've had time with each other to talk about life, laugh, and dream together. We hold hands and really just enjoy each other's company.
- On the days he doesn't go with me, I still go. It's been a month now. He had a crazy schedule this week and was sick for part of it, so I just got up and went walking myself. I have now formed a habit that I intend to carry on into the winter and for the rest of my life.
- I am healing my depression, and healing my weakened body. I was practically immobile for the past 18 months. I was too anxious and depressed to do much, and for a lot of it, I did nothing but sit at my desk for work, sit in the car, sit on the couch, and sleep. My muscle tone and cardio endurance has completely diminished. I am tired easily, and I'm weak. My immune system is weak. This habit is actually strengthening everything and healing the damage.
- I am no longer a night owl, and get to sleep at good hours. I go to bed around 10 or 11 pm, and wake up around 7 am.
|Found on my walk a few days ago.|
- Maintains healthy weight
- Prevents or manages a variety of health conditions, including heart disease, high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes
- Strengthens bones
- Lifts moods
- Improves balance and coordination